Responsible for the protection of persons swimming or otherwise using the recreational facilities of the pool or beach area. The primary responsibility of a lifeguard is the safety of facility users. Does related work as required.
• Patrols bathing area during operating hours, preventing injuries & minimizing or eliminating hazardous situations;
• Patrols open water by means of rescue boat, rescue board, or surfboard to prevent drowning accidents;
• Enforces all rules of the facility;
• Administers first aid and/ or CPR as professional rescuer to persons in an emergency within the limits of their training;
• Responds quickly to all emergency situations in the water;
• Travels to bathers in danger, by means of swimming, rescue boat, rescue board, etc. & performs rescue procedures;
• Participates in locating missing persons at the facility;
• Cleans bathing area prior to & during operating hours;
• Assists in teaching learn to swim, aquatic exercise,
• Conducts oneself in a professional manner.
• Thorough knowledge of principles of water safety; good knowledge of first aid & CPR for the professional rescuer; strong swimming skills; ability to meet & communicate with the public effectively; ability to understand & carry out oral & written directions; good judgement; initiative; courtesy; resourcefulness; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Incumbents must possess a current life-guarding certificate
From: the American Red Cross; YMCA; or Boy Scouts of America; or any NY State Department of Health approved agency: and must also maintain current certifications in CPR as a professional rescuer. In addition, candidates must pass a practical test administered by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation.
Flexible – 8:00 AM – 8:00 Midnight
May| End Date: